2.3 C
New York
Saturday, January 28, 2023

Man charged with murder after grandfather found dead in western Sydney

Police have charged a man with the murder of his step-grandfather who was found dead in his home in Sydney’s south west.

Joe Ziri, 91, was allegedly stabbed to death before his home was doused in hydrochloric acid on Wednesday.

His step-grandson was arrested by police a short time later at his home on nearby Philip Street.

The 24-year-old was covered in blood and was taken to hospital under police guard for treatment of arm and leg injuries.

Detectives charged him with murder on Friday at hospital. He’s been refused bail and

and will appear before a bedside court hearing on Saturday.

Camera IconA 24-year-old man, Mr Ziri’s step-grandson, was charged with murder on Friday. NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw Credit: News Corp Australia
Camera IconFire and rescue crews had to don Hazmat suits to clean up hydrochloric acid spilt in the home. NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw Credit: News Corp Australia

Police rushed to the home on Hillview St, Roselands, at about 9:55pm on Wednesday after Mr Ziri’s son Anthony called triple-0.

Two officers who attended the scene were taken to St George Hospital after inhaling hydrochloric acid fumes.

They were treated for minor chemical burns and have since been released.

Police said the acid had been spread around the home, but not on Mr Ziri’s body.

Camera IconMultiple crime scenes were established and examined by specialist forensic police. NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw Credit: News Corp Australia
Camera IconThe 24-year-old remains under police guard in hospital and will appear before court via video tomorrow. NCA NewsWire / Damian Shaw Credit: News Corp Australia

Neighbours have spoken of their shock after hearing of Mr Ziri’s death.

“Joe was a very, very good man,” said Robert Farhat.

“We never had any problems since 1988 when we live (in the area) together

“He was a close friend, we talk to him at his place, we get some coffee.”

Susie Fakhry lived next-door to Mr Ziri and his family in a nearby street for 25 years, before he moved to his Hillview St home, and described his death as a “tragedy”.

“He was a great dad, a great grandfather, everybody is in shock,” she said.

“He was well known, it’s really sad. I’m lost for words.

“He was a family man, he used to mind his own business, he did a lot of maintenance at home, did his own stuff, raised his kids and we saw them growing up.

“He was a beautiful, holy spirited man.”

Source link

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected


Latest Articles