BØ I TELEMARK (VG) Emil Iversen takes a stand against the height criticism from Petter Northug and Bjørn Dæhlie. The two cross-country legends have no understanding that almost all Norwegian national team runners will drop altitude plans next season.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Only Johannes Høsflot Klæbo implements a complete height regime à la what Northug (36) and Dæhlie (55) in their time carried out before the WC and Olympics. The duo took a total of 32 golds in the championship.
– I am almost 31 years old and can say that I have not had a good experience with it. Then it becomes a little indifferent to me what Bjørn Dæhlie, Petter Northug, Oddvar Brå and Gjermund Eggen say, Emil Iversen reports to VG during the cross-country national team’s press conference in a summery Telemark.
– I was very fond of altitude training. We stuck to it and had many weeks both before the season and before the championships. It was an important and large part of my commitment. I and my national team colleagues built it all year round, both because it was the World Cup in height and championships sometimes, Bjørn Dæhlie recently told VG when asked what he thinks about only Klæbo betting on altitude training in the future.
– Considering the previous Olympics (in Beijing), I was very clear that training at height would be a must. If there is a championship in the lowlands, it is quite possible to do it without altitude training, but I would not do it – it would be completely out of the question, Dæhlie has previously said to NRK.
Petter Northug has said to Address that he totally disagrees with the priority of dropping height.
– It is a culture that has come in recent years. There are some practitioners who have hit with the form in the lowlands. Then everyone thinks they can follow, Northug said.
Pål Golberg would like to be more in height.
– I think it’s worth listening to, but at the same time it’s easy for an undisputed one in his time to say it. John is the only one considering doing so. That might say a bit. I would like to be a lot in height, but I do not do it without the team wanting it. It is difficult to disagree with Northug, but the eye of the needle is narrow. By being a lot in height, things can fluctuate more, Golberg says to VG.
Emil Iversen does not follow his teammate. He does not want to delete a new height regime.
– I think it’s good that people ask questions, but when it comes to height, I have only spoken for myself and explained myself well many times. I just have to say: Sorry, I have been at the height for many weeks and tried it since I joined the elite team. It was a year I was the only one who completed all intervals and altitude stays at the gathering level, and it was the worst season I have had, the Trøndelag resident claims.
Iversen reminisces back to the super form Northug showed when he played with Hans Christer Holund during the National Championships in Røros in.
– I thought «damn, height is almost like doping. It works so well and he is in another league “, and I was looking forward to starting with that. But now it has been 6-7 years and been at the height many times, but not even experienced the effect in question, says Emil Iversen.