An EC charge is long. A European Championship – if it goes as the Swedish football ladies hope – even longer.
Keeping the players alert and whole is a challenge. That is why national team captain Peter Gerhardsson has opened up for flexibility in the schedulewhere players should feel safe to be able to stand over a pass in case of feelings or fatigue.
Stina Blackstenius made headlines when she stepped down from her first training in Båstad on Monday and did not go full steam the next day. On Thursday’s closed training, however, the Arsenal star, who is one of Sweden’s key players in the European Championships in England in July, participated in the entire session.
– It was just such a common get-started feeling really. I have had a holiday and not played football for a few weeks, so it will probably be a natural fatigue, she says.
How is your body now?
– Good. It feels like you have not played football for a long time, but it works out.
Star colleague Kosovar Asllani criticized on Thursday just left the club team Real Madrid for pushing players to play injured. The culture of the national team, which becomes an opposite pole, is hailed by Blackstenius.
– It expresses in basically every camp that we should say at the slightest and that we should not be afraid that it will backfire in any way. That’s why I stepped down too, because I do not want to take any risks at all.
– Before the championship, we can not afford to take a chance, so that the culture that exists is super good.
Linda Sembrant, who sprained her ankle at Wednesday’s training, she also gives reassuring information about her status.
– I feel better, says Juventusbacken.
How do you see the possibility of playing in Tuesday’s European Championship rematch at home against Brazil?
– I have not thought so far, of course I want to be back as soon as possible, but it is important to be a little smart.